Ambient Insight Research (2012) The North America Market for Self-paced eLearning Products and Services: 2011-2016 Forecast and Analysis Monroe WA: Ambient Insight Research (note: $1,225 for the full report; free abstract available at: http://www.ambientinsight.com/Reports/eLearning.aspx)
PRWeb (2012) North American eLearning Market to Reach $27.2 billion by 2016 PRWeb, July 31
The Ambient Insight Research reports examine the current and potential markets for e-learning products such as packaged content, custom content development services, cloud-based authoring tools and learning platform services, installed authoring tools, and installed learning platforms.
Some results from the free abstract (I don’t have $1,225 unfortunately for the full report):
- the market is growing 4.4% per annum in the USA and 16.8% in Canada
- by 2016, the North American market will be worth $27.2 billion
- North America had 62% of the market in 2011
- the fastest growing products (9% per annum) in North America will be cloud-based authoring tools and learning platforms
- ‘the global market has largely been a story of corporate adoption in developed economies. That has changed dramatically in the last two years and the narrative is now one of rapid adoption in all the buyer segments, particularly in the consumer, academic, and government segments in developing economies.’
- in particular, growth rates predicted between 2011-2016:
- Vietnam: 44%
- Malaysia: 39%
- Romania 37%
- India: 32%
- China: 30%.
Although Canada has some significant players in the market (Desire2Learn in particular), I am wondering if there is a lost opportunity here. In particular, there seems to be a large gap between institutional developments (content and applications) and corporate developments (software and equipment) in Canada. This report suggests that there are tremendous opportunities if the main institutional and corporate players in Canada would only get together to look at collaborating in the international online market.