Share or Save arrow9 Responses
  1. Carlton Reeve
    January 6, 2012 - 5:02 am

Thanks for the post. Particularly intrigued by your thoughts on learning analytics and gesture-based computing – sparked lots of ideas.

I’m a passionate believer in the potential of game-based learning but I think many so-called educational games have done us a huge disservice – they are neither educational nor games! (http://playwithlearning.com/2011/11/09/educational-games/)

Still, I’m optimistic that this year we might see genuinely fruitful developments in the area and some renewed focus (http://playwithlearning.com/2011/12/12/what-games-are-good-for/)

Thanks again.

2. Britt Watwood
    January 6, 2012 - 5:56 am

Good post, Tony. My only comment comes from your subject line. Seems to me that everything you mentioned is true of higher education in general, not just elearning?

• Tony Bates
      January 6, 2012 - 10:39 am

Good point, Britt.

I guess it depends on how you define e-learning. I don’t want to get hung up on definitions, but I see e-learning as broader than just online learning, covering classroom activities that use digital technology as well as online learning.

Also, your point is well made as these new technology developments will also impact on all uses of technology, administrative as well as teaching.

Regards

3. e-learning
    January 6, 2012 - 10:35 am

I do wonder where education is going to go. Not just a general higher education level, but e-learning and online courses. I don’t think there will ever be a time that there aren’t any conventional universities, but more and more people are opting for taking courses online, and even in HS a lot of kids take distance learning courses for college credit. It will be interesting to see what becomes available.

4. David Thain
    January 8, 2012 - 4:21 am

Fascinating post Tony. I think you should always include a category of ‘The unknown’ in any list of future developments.

The whole area of e-Learning is of interest to me as I intend that this will be my primary means of attaining a degree, starting later this year, forty six years after leaving school.

Perhaps yet another area of future development will be the growth of personal Group Apps.

You’re bookmarked, courtesy of Ebba!

David

5. Aguir Wiem
    January 11, 2012 - 1:44 am

Hi.
    Thanks for all these enriching details. But I’m really wondering about the quality of the learning contents. We are all focusing on the high technologies and new learning forms but we are forgetting the innovation in the teaching programs improving new skills, which is the essancial aim after all.
    I think that looking forward high-technology ways to communicate the informations needed to acquire competences and qualifications shoudn’t affect the quality of these informations and the level of kowledge offered by these very complicated and very exciting systems. This is one of the negatif aspects of the technical-development. Is it right to think so?
    I would be so grateful to get a reply from your side Sirs.

6. eSKYsolutions
    March 5, 2012 - 12:27 pm

Thanks a lot Tony. Very comprehensive article. I agree with your points andespecially on the voice control part you mentioned. I think this article is a must read for anyone interested in ellearning

7. [...] on pärit aadressilt http://www.tonybates.ca/2012/01/05/new-technologies-for-e-learning-in-2012-and-a-little-beyond/ Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. « [...]

8. […] Bates commenting on the Horizon Report 2012 and adding his own predictions. New technologies for e-learning in 2012 (and a little beyond) © Duncan Campbell, 2012, Creative Commons license In my e-learning outlook for 2012, I focused on […]