Prof Hacker (2011) Revolution or Evolution? Social Technologies and Change in Higher Education Chronicle of Higher Education, January 25
A guest post from Derek Bruff, Dwayne Harapnuik, and Jim Julius, about a brainstorming session at the recent annual conference of the Professional and Organizational Development (POD) Network.
The top challenges identified:
- Faculty mistrust technology.
- Faculty need examples of effective uses of these technologies.
- Loss of control when shifting from faculty-centered to student-centered learning
- Not a high priority for faculty development professionals on a campus
- Lack of a culture of openness to try technology among faculty
- Perception that technology does not offer deep learning
The article then goes on to look at ways to address these challenges. The comments to the article are also well worth reading