Coursera (2012) Coursera hits 1 million students across 196 countries Coursera Blog, August 9
As of August 9th, 2012:
- 16 participating universities (Stanford,Washington, UC San Francisco, CalTech, Michigan, Illinois, Toronto, Duke, Rice, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Pennsylvania, John Hopkins, Princeton, Edinburgh, and Ecole Polytechnique Fédéral de Lausanne
- 116 courses, all online
- 1,000 plus videos
- 1 million sign-ons
- 38% (380,000) in USA
- 6% (60,000) Brazil
- 5% (50,000) India
- 4% (40,000 each) China, Canada, Great Britain
- cost: free
- completion rates (successful award of certificate): not published and too early to calculate for most courses but:
- less than 10% on pilot courses,
- possibly as many as 100,000 certificates will be awarded within six months.
- quality assurance: none to date other than prestige of institution/instructors
I hope Coursera will publish similar updates at regular intervals and at the latest by August, 2013.