Share or Save arrow8 Responses
  1. Rita Kop
    September 18, 2011 - 2:03 pm

Perhaps you should include a ‘what’ question. Why would adults be interested in collecting badges for their assessment? They aren’t boy-scouts. They might like to choose a type of self-assessment, but I doubt if many adults would feel empowered by accumulating some badges.

2. Lisa M Lane
    September 19, 2011 - 9:40 pm

Because people like some kind of marker for completion.

I direct an all-faculty, all-volunteer, grass roots group called the Program for Online Teaching. Our “professional educators” are volunteer faculty from MiraCosta College, where we offer workshops. We are currently running an open online Certificate Class for online instructors and others who want to join. At the end of completing 24 weeks over two semesters, participants will do a project and link to all their weekly blog posts, which are based on specific readings and tasks. We are not accredited, nor are we giving this certificate from the college itself, there is no official credit, and we don’t charge anything. At the moment we have over 90 people working from all over the world. They started September 1 (‘registration’ is now closed), and the vast majority have declared their intention to complete a certificate, even though it’s very clear that it is not a college or university certificate. It consists primarily of a document in pdf format that can be printed, and a “badge” (though our faculty member in charge of it didn’t like that term, as in “we don’t need no stinkin’ badges”) that instructors can post on their web pages or inside their LMS.

So what I’m saying is that there can be markers for informal learning that do matter to people, although I think the experience of working on them is more important than the badge.

• Debbie Davidson
      October 6, 2011 - 10:59 am

sometimes, too, institutions ask for some kind of proof that you engaged in some form of Professional Development. In such cases it’s nice to have something to present, even if it’s not from an accredited institution. There’s a big difference between a degree that says you’re competent in some field, and informal learning that enhances your pre-existing skill set. The idea is that learning is learning, formal or not; and, it’s not so much what we’ve learned that counts, but what we do with that learning is the true test.

3. Clint Lalonde
    September 21, 2011 - 6:21 am

I agree with you, Lisa, about both the experience as being the value, and that some people want some kind of marker for completion.

A little story about that from my own experience. I used to teach a Continuing Education class in Dreamweaver at a local community college. Non-credit stuff – no testing, no grading. At the end of the course I would give out a certificate of completion.

Fast forward 3 years and I get a new job. I am walking around meeting some of the employees. One of them is a student I had years earlier in my CE class and what do I see pinned up on her wall in her cubicle? The certificate of completion from my CE course. It really “means” nothing other than she completed the course, but she felt it had enough value to her that she pinned it up on her cubicle at work to publicly display for people in her place of employment.

• Lisa M Lane
      September 21, 2011 - 11:21 pm

Oh, Clint, I like that. Pride in ones achievements is a good thing. :-)

4. Terence O'Neill
    November 4, 2011 - 6:43 am

My understanding, after looking around the P2PU website, specifically the School of Webcraft in question here, is that people would be able to put their ‘badge’ on their facebook and twitter pages, so that it would be an external marker of having completed the steps to gain that badge.

5. […] come through my Google Reader feed over the past year by the following individuals: Bud Hunt; Tony Bates; Mark Surman; Andrea Zellner; and Doug Belshaw.  […]

6. Open Badges in Education